Benet House Retreat Center at St. Mary Monastery
- Lectio Divina: Sacred reading of Scripture, poetry, nature and art: Through contemplative reading, listening and seeing, we can learn to recognize the Divine Presence in all things. Retreat Leader: Linda Clewell, SMM Oblate. Tuesdays: Nov. 3, 10, 17 and 24; 9-10 am; Fee: Free will offering.
- Henri Nouwen Reading Group: If you find Henri Nouwen’s books help you strengthen your Christian faith and draw closer to the heart of God, you are not alone! Materials from the Henri Nouwen Society will be used to enhance our reading. We are committed to reading all Henri’s books. 1st Tuesday each month. Next session: November 3; 1:30-3 pm; Leaders: Sr. Bobbi Bussan, OSB and Linda Clewell, SMM Oblate. Fee: $15/session; purchase own book.
- Centering Prayer: Leader: Linda Clewell, SMM Oblate. Wednesdays: Nov. 4, 11 and 18; 1-2 pm; Free will offering.
- Break-a-way: Day of Prayer and Quiet: Take time out from your busy! Join the Benedictine Sisters on their monthly Quiet Prayer Day. Opening prayer and ‘Mindful Moments’ reflections. November theme is Awakening. Wed. Nov. 4; 9 am-Opening Reflection; 1 pm-Centering Prayer (Optional); 3:30-Closing Prayer (Optional). Retreat Leaders: Benet House Program Committee. Fee: Free will donation
- Wisdom Women: REJOICE IN AND DISCOVER OUR WISDOM: Blessed are those who find wisdom, those who gain understanding. (Prov.3:13) Join this ‘wisdom group’ of women to learn from Women in Scripture, Women Saints, Sophia as Wisdom, one another and women in our world today. We will share and deepen our Wisdom together. Leaders: Sr. Bobbi Bussan, OSB and Lorene Knobbe. Introductory Meeting to learn about the series/determine meeting dates: Thurs. Nov. 5: Two sessions: 10-11 am or 6:30-7:30 pm; Fee: Determined by the group.
- 3-Day Directed Retreat: Praying for Peace with Prayers of John Philip Newell:
This retreat focuses on John Philip Newell’s, Praying with the Earth: A Prayer book for Peace. Each participant will meet daily with spiritual director and have opportunity for daily group prayer. Each person will receive table runner made of Tanzania fabric to create prayer space, and will need candle to use for prayer and direction sessions. Spiritual Directors: Elaine Olson and Mary Kay Henson. Fri. Nov. 6, 7 pm-Mon. Nov. 9, 4 pm; Fee: $180.
- Word Among Us: Retreat Leader: Sr. Charlotte Sonneville, OSB. Sept. through May; Next sessions Nov. 9 and 23; 1-2:30 pm; Fee: $50 series, plus cost of subscription to Word Among Us Publication.
- The Psalms: Prayers for All Life’s Experiences: The Book of Psalms is the heart of Benedictine prayer. The Psalms express a variety of life experience’s including pain, anguish, joy and praise. Retreat Leader: Sr. Bobbi Bussan, OSB. 2nd Thursday of each month July 2020-June 2021. Next session: Nov. 12; 9:30-11:30 am; Fee: $15 session or $90 series.
- Prayer and Poetry: Retreat Leader: Misty Urban, Muscatine Community College Writing Center. Nov. 12, 6:30-8:30 pm; Fee: $15.
- Compassion to Self: A Day for You: Self-care is vital to our physical, emotional and spiritual wholeness and allows us to manage the many demands in life. Retreat features teachings of Sr. Joyce Rupp and Boundless Compassion Program. Retreat Leader: Sr. Bobbi Bussan, OSB. Sat. Nov. 14, 9 am-4 pm; Fee: $40.
- Reclaiming a Sense of Wonder: A Vision of Advent. Award-winning author, journalist, poet and essayist Judith Valente will lead retreatants in refreshing experience using input, discussion and creative activities to engage our sense of wonder during the Advent season. Retreat Leader: Judith Valente. Sat. Nov. 21, 9 am-4 pm; Fee: $70;
For more information and pricing:
Phone: Sr. Jackie Walsh, OSB: 309-283-2108