top of page
123067803_cropped.jpg

History of Holy Cross

The Beginnings

Shortly after a disastrous tornado destroyed the church building of St. John’s Church (then) in north Champaign, Bishop Edmund Dunne sent a newly ordained Father William Frawley to assess the situation. Frawley determined that a new church was needed on the west side of the railroad tracks. The cornerstone for the Church of the Exaltation of the Holy Cross was laid in August 1912 by Father Frawley at the southeast corner of Clark and Elm streets. The first Mass in the new church was celebrated on December 22, 1912, and the church was dedicated on April 9, 1913.    Within the red brick building, which occupied that corner until 1988, were housed the school, the convent, and the church. 

​

That first church occupied the core of the building, but the parish and its school both quickly needed more room. Seven short years after the first church was built, Father Frawley hired the architect Zachary Taylor Davis, a Chicagoan who had completed other significant projects in the diocese and throughout the state, to design a new, larger church. The magnificent edifice we worship today was the result. In November of 1920, the site for the church was blessed; by November of 1921, the cornerstone was laid; and by December of 1924, the first Mass was celebrated at the new Holy Cross Church on the corner of Clark and Prairie.

​

Father Frawley was vested as a Monsignor in 1931 and died in 1939, having given twenty-eight years of his life, a thriving school, and a beautiful church to the parish of Holy Cross.

​

​Through World Wars and the Baby Boom
Father Clarence Higgins succeeded Monsignor Frawley as the second pastor of Holy Cross. His experience as an Army chaplain (1917-1920) during and after World War I served the parish well as the country neared World War II. Higgins’ patriotism was unmatched. He served on the local USO board, and he gave addresses on the radio on Columbus Day. He opened the church doors and invited all to pray after Pearl Harbor and on D-Day.  He even worked with the local rabbi to provide relief to Jewish families after the war.

​

After World War II, with the rapid rise in births we know as the baby boom, it became increasingly clear that the school would need to expand.  The Clark Street school was bursting at the seams! After years of planning, in 1953, Holy Cross opened a beautiful new facility to educate its youngsters.

At its opening, the newspaper reported that-much like today- the White Street school boasted 13 classrooms, a large modern gymnasium with seating for 2000 for stage presentations and 800 for games. The basement held a spotless tiled kitchen with the latest in stoves, dishwashers, etc., to serve the large cafeteria. The kindergarten and primary departments had their own section in the basement with all facilities and an enclosed patio playground.

​

Father Higgins was vested as Monsignor in 1951 and retired in 1960, having seen remarkable growth in the parish. 

​

​Continued growth
The second half of the 20th century saw even more growth and change.  The church and the new school were already overcrowded. The graduating class of 1963 had 75 students!  As a result, a school annex, which would become a new parish, St. Matthew's, was formed.  Holy Cross parish, under the leadership of Father McGinn (1960-1969), raised $500,000 for the new church and school. Ground was broken in 1965.  In keeping with the church reforms of Vatican II, Father McGinn also began a lay apostolate program with an educational emphasis, including adult education and catechesis for public school children.

​

In the early 1980s, it was evident that the church building, now 60 years old, needed some updating. Father Bernard Render, pastor from 1969 to 1984, with the assistance of University of Illinois art professor Harry Breen, undertook a major renovation in 1983 with a rededication of the church in January, 1984. Major changes included painting the church in earth tones with the deep blue star-studded celestial ceiling, creating the altar, ambo, and presider's chair, creating a baptismal side chapel (with a peacock), moving the confessionals to the front of the church, and placing the Mary and Joseph sculptures in the transept arms.

​

Shortly after the rededication, Father Render retired to be replaced by Father Richard Mullen, pastor from 1984 to 1997.  In October of 1986, the parish announced a fund drive to build additional classrooms for the White Street school as well as for a brand-new Parish Center.  To make way for the Parish Center, the rectory, a 2- story frame house which also held the parish administration, was donated to a women’s shelter and moved across town with the assistance of the city of Champaign. In 1988, to provide room for the White Street school, the 1912 red brick building, the original church and school, was demolished.  That year six classrooms were added to the White Street school.  Mullen also oversaw the renovation of the beautiful stained-glass windows in the church. Those windows were installed shortly after the 1924 opening by the Emil Frei stained glass company.

​

While the parish raised funds throughout the 1980s, it wasn’t until Monsignor Hallin’s tenure, 1997-2005, that the final addition to the White Street school was completed: a three-story addition complete with a library and computer labs. In a touching nod to the parish history, the cornerstone from the 1912 church and school was reused in the northwest corner of the addition.

​

​A New Millennium

Looking toward the future and following its mission of building disciples, the parish joined in a vicariate-wide effort led by Monsignor Hallin to bring a Catholic High school to Champaign for the first time in the history of the diocese.  As the new millennium dawned, St. Thomas More High School opened its doors. The dedication ceremony in the summer of 2000 was presided over by Francis Cardinal George, Archbishop of Chicago, and Peoria Diocese Bishop John J. Myers.

​

The new millennium saw new priests and an important anniversary for Holy Cross. Father Stephen Willard replaced Monsignor Hallin in 2005 and served the parish until 2013. In 2012, the parish celebrated its 100th birthday with events throughout the year. As a result, we have Father Willard to thank for initiating the wonderful Feast Week celebrations we now enjoy.  In 2013, Bishop Jenky accepted an offer from the Salesian Order to serve Holy Cross and appointed Father Dave Sajdak as pastor. As Salesians live in community, Father Bibiana and Father Bucciferro came too! Father Dave instituted a weekly Marian Mass and began a community, a Cenacle of the Divine Mercy.  The Salesians left in 2017 and were succeeded by Father Donton, who bravely led the parish through pandemic closures and social distancing, instituting drive-through communion and blessings in 2020.  Father Leopold Mushobozi joined us as pastor in August 2021. Who can forget his famous retort: God is Good, All the Time!

​

In June 2024, Monsignor Brownsey became our pastor. While he focuses daily on building community and forming disciples through our school and our parishioners, he’s also made his mark on the infrastructure.  Since his arrival, he has moved the altar back to the center of the sanctuary, emphasizing the Eucharist's centrality.  Monsignor reminds us that we are called to carry Christ’s message into the world, both literally and figuratively. For the first time since 1912, the bell tower calls us to worship with its first-ever bells!

​

​

Photograph of Monsignor Frawley

Monsignor Frawley

Holy Cross 1912 Building copy (1).jpg

Original 1912 Church Structure

Photograph of Holy Cross church in 1924
Western view of Holy Cross
Photo of the original interior sanctuary of the church

1924 Holy Cross Church

Father Higgins copy.jpg

Monsignor Higgins

Dedication of Holy Cross School

Holy Cross School 1953

Father Render at new baptismal font.jpg

Father Render

Parish center being built.jpg

Parish Center Expansion

Monsignor Hallin at St. Thomas More High School

Monsignor Hallin at St. Thomas More High School

bottom of page